McAfee has announced the McAfee Cloud Security Platform, a new approach to help organizations safely and efficiently take advantage of Cloud computing. The new platform achieves this by securing all content and data traffic – including email, web and identity traffic – moving between an organization and the Cloud.
“Once you move data or applications to the Cloud, you essentially lose most – if not all – of your security visibility, which most organizations find unacceptable,” said Marc Olesen, senior vice president and general manager, Content and Cloud Security at McAfee. “By securing the data and traffic before it travels to or through the Cloud, we help businesses extend their security practices and policies into the Cloud.”
The McAfee Cloud Security Platform delivers security through highly integrated, modular solutions that protect both inbound and outbound traffic moving between the enterprise and the public cloud. Today, the platform offers the following modules:
- Web Security – McAfee Web Security provides bi-directional protection for both incoming and outgoing web traffic through proactive reputation- and intent-based protection.
- Mobile Security – Web traffic generated by smart phones and tablets can be directed through the McAfee Web Gateway using standard device management. This ensures that mobile devices are secured with advanced anti-malware protection and corporate web filtering policies.
- Cloud Access Control – The Intel Expressway Cloud Access 360, helps enable an Enterprise or Cloud Provider to provide comprehensive access control for cloud applications using Enterprise identities.
- Email Security – McAfee Email Security delivers total email protection, integrating comprehensive inbound threat protection with outbound data loss prevention.
- Web Services Security – The Intel Expressway Service Gateway offloads application level API security, data transformation, REST to SOAP mediation, and identity token exchange, to a high speed gateway at the network edge or in the cloud.
Another key aspect of ensuring Cloud security is making sure organizations identify data that should or should not be moved to the Cloud. UsingMcAfee’s Data Loss Prevention solution, organizations can first understand where its data resides, classify that data in terms of importance or sensitivity, build policies to protect that data, and then enforce those policies while data travels within or outside the organization to the Cloud.
McAfee Data Loss Prevention discovers data no matter where it resides or what format it is in on the network, giving the enterprise rich data mining tools to deliver effective protection and the creation of more effective policies that work quickly. Centralized management and reporting is also provided through integration with the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator platform.
The security modules can be deployed as an on-premises appliance, Software-as-a-Service solution or a hybrid combination of both. This provides organizations the flexibility and coverage to protect their headquarters, regional offices and even remote workers using mobile devices.
Regardless of the deployment form factor, the solutions can be centrally managed through the ePolicy Orchestrator platform or the McAfee SaaS Control Console. Additionally, the platform and modules are powered by McAfee Global Threat Intelligence, which leverages the Cloud with millions of sensors and hundreds of threat researchers worldwide to deliver real-time – and even predictive – threat intelligence against all known and emerging threats.
Using the platform’s built-in Application Programming Interface (API), McAfee aims to deploy additional security modules in the coming months to provide even greater and deeper Cloud protection. This may include a variety of solutions, such as tools that can provide greater granular control over popular social media sites.